Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each motive to be excessive on the listing for journey bucket lists.
Town is a mix of influences, there may be the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil warfare and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat group and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and types.
Possibly you wish to keep within the coronary heart of the previous city and Gothic structure, or do you wish to expertise the mix of metropolis and seashore in Barceloneta? It might be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda individual and wish to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, countless buying alternatives and Gaudi round what looks as if virtually each nook.
Both manner, we’ve the very best of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: Searching for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve received a submit about our favourite food & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely suggest. We even have extra posts on travel in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to search out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Ideas
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are a couple of suggestions that can assist you put together in your journey to Barcelona.
- Be conscious of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! One of the best months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are comfy, and the town parks and tree-lined avenues look lovely. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together a couple of Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a fundamental grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you may get away with English, though most vacationer locations do communicate English!
- Keep secure: Pickpockets are an enormous drawback in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you might be more likely to encounter thieves. Don’t go away your telephone on a desk, preserve your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey sporting an expensive-looking watch and preserve your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. At all times be vigilant!
- Eat all of the foods and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with a number of recent hearty substances, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There may be additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite solution to eat! Cava can be made within the area so first rate cava prices little or no. Take a food and wine tour for those who can to expertise it multi function afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The proper abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer crew. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply persist with Barcelona.
- Carry comfy strolling sneakers: Town is extremely walkable however elements of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you notice whereas gawking on the structure. So pack first rate sneakers you already know will preserve your ft blissful and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve received a Barcelona self-guided walking tour – and we’ve additionally received options for the very best strolling sneakers for journey. Listed below are our favourite journey sneakers for men and for women.
- Completely different areas even have completely different hyperlinks to different elements of the town: The metro system is superb and pretty straightforward to navigate however for those who desire to keep away from utilizing it or buses then you should base your self strolling distance to the stuff you wish to see or a minimum of on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and modifications. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so take note the place you wish to be in relation to the place you wish to keep.
- Keep away from short-term residence leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot larger than is reasonably priced for residents and creating a number of scams and disparity. Motels have been badly affected by the pandemic in order that they deserve the assist reasonably than grasping property homeowners who would reasonably go away an residence empty as an alternative of renting it for an inexpensive worth to a neighborhood. There are even new legal guidelines limiting vacationer licenses and you might be now not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a resort!
- In case your check-in and check-out occasions don’t sync up together with your have to roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, take a look at LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a secure place to maintain your baggage when you’re operating round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods known as barrios, every with its personal distinct character, vibe and attraction. To the uninitiated, chances are you’ll battle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I received you lined!
As with many cities, there may be additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see customers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low-cost hippy outlets promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that sort of place!
This provides to the attraction of the town, you might be at all times only a brief stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing utterly completely different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make searching down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – all the things your coronary heart needs might be present in Barcelona!
Previous Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The previous a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of the town. Filled with previous winding streets, lovely historic buildings, church buildings, lovable eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will see that Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the very best place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nevertheless, you do want to select rigorously as some streets are just a little shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in for those who don’t see daylight out of your resort room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of the town and is a brief stroll to the seashore, with elements of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The realm can be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry in case you are an early morning kind of individual.
That is additionally the very best place to base your self in case you are planning on taking our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona. Many of the tour covers this space and can be the place you end so you’re a brief stroll again to your resort afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a mix of expensive motels on this space in addition to some critically funds hostels. Under are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a type of good kinds of hostels with clear, shiny rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a fairly, previous church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing just a little fancier Barcelona Hotel Colonial is correct within the coronary heart of Gothic in a phenomenal colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in another path takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as doable to the eccentric La Rambla then the May Ramblas Hotel is the one for you. It’s situated just a few doorways down a aspect road from La Rambla and can be the identical road you head right down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seashore
For these trying extra for the seashore vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually unimaginable to get misplaced. To 1 aspect is Port Vell, to the south is the seashore, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer season Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a superb place to really feel you might be staying proper on the seashore with out lacking out on that Barcelona previous metropolis attraction. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different elements of the town however the seashore ambiance is nearly year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seashore bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are at all times folks skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seashore
There are a couple of bigger motels on this space as you’d anticipate with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark resort The W, lovely and epic views however out of funds for many vacationers! You possibly can nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, for those who can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the street from the place the barrio begins, the Hotel Oasis has an incredible rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in the direction of the marina. From right here you possibly can entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a brief stroll.
- Hotel 54 Barceloneta is correct on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seashore, this could be my decide if going for the seashore resort possibility. The rooftop bar can be like just a little backyard paradise, good for resting after a protracted day of exploring.
- For a extra funds room, the Sea Hostel is a superb decide for dorm room-style lodging, additionally it is subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly superb pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seashore.
Welcome to Eixample, the realm that you simply’ll see most in aerial photographs of Barcelona, these good crimson sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of the town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run via, it’s the place the designer outlets are and can be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, except for the irritating crimson gentle cease/begin system which does make visitors heavier right here. However most motels have first rate sound insulation so you possibly can keep away from visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona type with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and plenty of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply preserve stumbling into one other lovely constructing after one other, and for those who get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The buying can be unbelievable right here with all the things from high-end designer shops, to excessive road buying, to impartial boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the resort, that is the place to do it.
This space can be very well related with public transport, the buses run repeatedly and there are a number of metro stations in addition to practice stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’d anticipate there isn’t any scarcity of motels in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end motels. Listed below are some fo the very best ones:
- Once I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via and it’s the place I like to recommend buddies to remain for an amazing worth resort. The employees was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are shiny and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Hotel Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a superb selection, and although the value is just a little larger it’s not eye-watering. You could possibly go all out for a collection with a non-public terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your resort to the scent of recent bread and pastries then you should ebook Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply ensure to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the enduring Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your predominant motive for visiting Barcelona, and no person will choose you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You possibly can meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and customarily gaze on the unbelievable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant decisions aren’t the finest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and straightforward to get to different elements of the town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
After all, in case you are staying on this space you then completely want a resort with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most cost effective rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced motels value checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced residences with a phenomenal shared roof terrace overlooking the enduring church. Right here you may get the bonus of a non-public residence whereas nonetheless having the chance to take pleasure in a shared area with fellow vacationers.
- For a resort possibility, the Sercotel Rosellón has shiny rooms, an amazing breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic solution to spend a day for those who ask me!
Searching for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an impartial city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and happy with their neighborhood.
Now the realm is fashionable and filled with impartial outlets, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place folks hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato outlets close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however looks like a unique world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are principally pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The realm can be recognized for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is extensively referred to as the very best. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the very best decor. Though bear in mind for those who go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t anticipate any peace and quiet, the events can go on all night time!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary selection amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit just a little hidden gem, and motels are typically just a little cheaper too.
- Hotel Ronda Lesseps is a cute resort with a phenomenal inside courtyard backyard hooked up to the resort bar. Additionally it is only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of the town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket possibility with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell resort, costs aren’t vastly completely different however it’s barely extra exterior the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in motels are an actual deal with however they do get busy so keep in mind to order a solar lounger in your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Motels in Barcelona
If you’re like the remainder of Workforce Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you’ll be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a superb place to journey together with your furry finest buddy.
Most eating places are accommodating, a number of outlets have water bowls exterior for passing canines and it isn’t unusual to see canines becoming a member of buying journeys. My canine loves coming buying, it normally means getting a number of love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you possibly can convey your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nevertheless, simply bear in mind that in the summertime months (from Might to October) canines aren’t allowed on the principle seashores so you’ll have to discover the dog beach simply exterior the principle metropolis heart.
Once I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly resort and I’ve a couple of buddies who’ve additionally accomplished the identical. Quite a lot of motels are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So for those who journey together with your little buddy these are the very best locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This resort is correct reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far among the best parks for canines within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine homeowners with pups enjoying on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The resort can be a brief stroll to the seashore and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring the town. The resort itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and magnificence, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There may be additionally a beautiful out of doors space to take pleasure in an aperitif.
- Hotel Balmes: An actual gem of a resort, they really have a particular bundle for canines, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can be delicate to their particular guests. There may be additionally an African artwork assortment all through the resort, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran Via: This resort has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about once I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran Through resort and it was really unbelievable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the employees are superb and really accommodating. The identical vibe can be at their different resort Diputación, each are in Eixample and very well situated for accessing the remainder of the town.
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly secure and there are few areas to keep away from, these are normally simply sure streets reasonably than entire areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious reasonably than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however in case you are an skilled traveler and preserve your wits about you, you’ll be nice. It helps to bear in mind that Barcelona has a number of poverty and the common wage completely doesn’t match the price of residing and housing right here.
There may be additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless folks in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from the town fully as nobody space is best than others.
Apart from that, there are some areas of the town which can be simply not value staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Typically if you hear tales of pickpockets, you might be listening to tales of Raval, which is situated to the west aspect of La Rambla.
The realm is charming in its personal manner, however I wouldn’t suggest it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling dwelling at the hours of darkness will not be advisable.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: If you’re nonetheless searching for the quirky previous city type that elements of Raval have then keep in Gothic as an alternative. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of previous buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark issues. May Ramblas Hotel is properly situated for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of the town and could be very residential. Housing might be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a unique clientele than what most vacationers could be fascinated by.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout the town might be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so it will likely be a protracted stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you wish to be.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra attraction and simpler entry to the remainder of the town. Additionally contemplate Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery offers you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
When you hunt for lodging that’s easy accessibility to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, additionally it is near the enduring Montjuïc which is great to discover. It’s also possible to go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nevertheless, to get wherever you’ll need to leap on the metro or practice, it’s properly related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of the town you should have fairly a protracted stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can sluggish you down.
Additionally as it’s a predominant transport connection level it does are typically actually busy within the stations, which may get overwhelming in case you are determining tips on how to get to the place you wish to be.
- The place to Keep as an alternative: For simple entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place you should be in addition to the Sants cease does. Additionally it is a predominant level for the airport shuttle buses to start out from, which is by far the best solution to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is very well situated for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s various data! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we’ve an at a look abstract:
- The Finest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Previous Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Finest Motels in Barcelona: Finest choices are Barcelona Hotel Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran Via and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Finest Canine-Pleasant Motels in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran Through and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can’t beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and brief time period residence leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities world wide. Discovering an precise dwelling within the metropolis is an actual drawback and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the common individual can not afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t accomplished a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we suggest you to be a responsible traveler and select to remain in motels as an alternative, which have been in fact closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the finest concepts of the place to remain so you possibly can plan the remainder of your journey! While you’re within the strategy planning stage don’t overlook to enroll in our Self-Guided Walking Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover the town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you might be most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback beneath
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? We’ve explored a few!
Psst: Save this submit for in a while Pinterest!